Thursday 29 March 2012

What is a place without its people?


Now as our stay is coming to an end I am thinking more and more about the people and the place where we are. This is not a permanent home. Not for me, not for them. Still when I look around, this has really felt like a home the last few months.

My uncle and my cousin left a few days ago. And I miss them very much, I always had interesting discussions with one of them, and the other taught me how to drive a motorbike in the desert. When they left it made me think about this place without these people. What makes an area and a territory to a place? If it is just the people couldn't you then make a home out of anything? How different would this territory be if someone else lived here?

People all around the world create places by building a life around the resources available. Sometimes there are more and sometimes there are less. People use what they have, and after a while the stories and the memories will be attached to a piece of land. Still this place in the desert isn't any ones home. I hope that the Saharawis' will get their country back. At the same time I must say how much I admire them and their accomplishments in making these refugee camps a home. When we leave in two weeks I will not only miss the people, and my family but I will miss my home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment